Charles A. Lewis
Communications Consultant, February 2014-Present
- Provided communications strategy development, media relations support, writing, and direct outreach for a variety of clients, including
– Benro Group
– Caduceus Marketing
– Capital Pride Alliance
– Center for Disaster Philanthropy
– Food & Friends
– Gay Games DC 2022 Bid
– Jim Gray for Senate Campaign
– National Academy of Medicine
– Nevada State Education Association
– Summers Strategies
– Wildfire Contact
- Used poll data and campaign research to develop messaging and concepts for political campaign direct mail pieces.
- Wrote copy for pieces for local, legislative, congressional and statewide campaigns in seven different states.
Whitman-Walker Health, August 1999-February 2014
Deputy Director of Communications, 2008-2014
Media Relations Manager, 2004-2008
Media Specialist, 1999-2004
- Planned and implemented all WWH communications operations, including media relations, advertising, social media, website maintenance, publications and e-mail blasts with one additional staff person, the Graphic Designer.
- Responsible for promotion of WWH through building relationships with media, pitching stories and interviews to local, regional and national media, responding to media inquiries and producing press materials, including releases, advisories and fact sheets.
- Oversaw WWH’s advertising, including planning mix of media, developing message and writing ad copy and scripts used for TV, radio, movie theaters and internet.
- Developed and executed earned media, advertising and social media rebranding campaign for Whitman-Walker’s new name and logo.
- Established and maintained WWH’s presence in social media, including Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.
- Served as WWH’s primary point of contact for media, scheduling interviews for leadership and conducting interviews as needed.
- Developed talking points and prepared WWH staff for media interviews to ensure adherence to WWH message.
- Developed media strategies to promote WWH events, including the annual AIDS Walk, the largest HIV/AIDS fundraiser in Washington, and the annual Capital Pride festival, which draws 200,000 participants.
- Wrote remarks for WWH Executive Director, Board Chair and select patients for events including the annual black tie gala, AIDS Walk and World AIDS Day.
- Managed WWH website; developed strategic plan to improve the website; develop content and work with internal staff across divisions to ensure representation and accuracy of information; developed improved look, clearer organization and accessibility of information.
- Developed, produced and distributed electronic publications, including a weekly newsletter, a quarterly newsletter for WWH’s legal services program, a monthly employee newsletter and e-mail blasts as needed.
- Wrote and oversaw production of annual report and all publications.
- Managed press operations for the congressman; developed relationships with and pitched stories to local, state and national reporters; organized press conferences and availabilities with the congressman; developed press materials, including releases, advisories, op-eds and monthly newspaper column; acted as spokesperson for the congressman.
- Maintained website as a resource for both media and constituents.
September 1997-August 1998
- Wrote speech for then-U.S. Secretary of Housing and Urban Development Andrew Cuomo.
- Wrote three speeches for Tony Coelho, then-Chairman of the President’s Committee on Employment of People with Disabilities.
Indiana Department of Commerce,
Energy Policy Division
November 1993-January 1997
- Served as Communications Coordinator for the Energy Policy Division; wrote all press materials; overhauled and developed Division publications.
- Organized press conference for then-U.S. Secretary of Energy Hazel O’Leary.
- Administered federal energy efficiency grant program for schools and hospitals.
- Master of Arts in Public Relations
1990-1993, Ball State University
- Bachelor of Science in History
1986-1990, Ball State University